Monday, July 21, 2008

The Daily utility 21/08/2008 - PsExec

Hi All,

 

Trying to start a little thing here, where each day (if I can manage it, we’ll see) I will send a little email with a USEFULL (I hope) utility you might not have heard of (if you did, just ignore it). I will outline what it does and let you decide if you would like to add it to your “arsenal”.

 

The list will also be published in a website (a little blog) so that entries are archived and where I can see if I already sent it out.

Also if you have any suggestions for inclusions in the list, you are most welcomed to pass them on to me and they will go into the publish list.

 

I hope you all enjoy this, if you don’t ask and I will remove you from the list.

 

SysInternals (now Microsoft) PsExec:

This is a cool little utility that does something very good for us windows users, I was reminded of it lately when Lior asked me if I knew of a software that allows executing commands remotely – this is all the tool does and does it good.

It has always been a problem for windows users to create automation scripts that run across different machines since you couldn’t use BATCH to run a command remotely (i.e. execute winzip on a remote machine) forcing you to run the script on that machine manually – login with remote desktop and run the command there. This utility ends that need with a simple command from your machine (assuming you have permissions on the remote machine) you can now execute any command you want.

 

This is not something you will use every day, but when you need such a thing it is critical not just useful.

 

PsExec - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx (download and how to use)

No comments:

Post a Comment